Monday, November 3, 2008

They were tourists at the plaza...


16 x 20 oil on stretched cotton canvas
$500 (email me if interested)
I took this photo last year when I was in Santa Fe. I liked the play of shadows all over the ground and pavilion. While I was painting this one I could just imagine who these people were. The only thing that I was concerned about as I painted was the fact that the figures ended up in the center of the painting. I would like to hear others opinion on this. Does it bother you they are in the center and is there too much foreground? Drop me a comment.

7 comments:

Dean H. said...

Being in the middle is ok since there are nice counter balances in the peripheries of to painting. Love that foreground.

That being said, I feel it could have been stronger if the group were shifted from the center...but that's thought for a future painting.

Dean

Barbara Pask said...

Very nice, I think your composition works because of the interesting foreground.

Janelle Goodwin said...

Beautiful painting. The gazebo is off-center and that's where my eye ends up, so I think it's perfect.

kim shields said...

dean h., I had hope that painting the other objects on the same level as the people would help. I totally agree with you though, if they had been shifted a small amount it would have helped alot. Thanks for your comment.

kim shields said...

barbara, thank you so much! It is so much fun painting shadows, it is my favorite thing to paint.

kim shields said...

janelle, thank you for your comment! I was hoping the gazebo helped the painting to not look too centered.

kristen elisabeth said...

Oh, I love the way this one came out. I can really see your progress and development in painting the figures.