Monday, November 10, 2008

my first plein aire!


6x8 oil on cotton canvas panel
$75 (email me if interested)Sold
I have mentioned before how uneasy I felt about putting myself out there to be looked at while I painted. I finally did it with a lot of coxing from my husband. And I loved it! Now I want to do it all the time. I realized how much more you see in colors and values. A photograph will lose some of the values, it seems to flatten. We were at Garner State Park, Texas camping, to see the fall colors. We also went to Lost Maples State Park. There is a large isolated stand of uncommon bigtooth maples. I was only able to paint one plein aire painting but I took a lot of pictures.

2 comments:

Jennifer Bellinger said...

Hi Kim, I'm very impressed! Your first plein air, just lovely. I especially like your composition. You have also realized first hand how important it is to work from life and not just photos. The shadows especially are full of color and light. Keep going out. Plein air time for me is like play, such a wonderful change from studio painting.

kristen elisabeth said...

If you had made me guess which one was the new plein aire, I totally could have. I was right, it does force you to be looser and more relaxed. I love how you can see the texture of the paints in even the small photo of it.