Monday, March 31, 2008

Afternoon Stroll


8x10 oil on canvas panel
$250 (email me if interested)

It has been awhile. I spent a week in Fredericksburg taking a workshop from Michael Albrechtsen. What a great teacher! He taught me alot about color and mood. He also talked about how to interpret a photogragh and not just copy it. This is the first painting I have done since the workshop and I am very pleased with it. I actually wrote down some of the high points I wanted to remember and stuck them on my easel where I can see them at all times. Here they are:
1.Things get lighter and more gray further away from the viewer
2.You can use opposite colors to give you distance and separation front to back
3.Pay close attention to your edges
4.You want one edge to be more important than the others
5.Use color opposites to create eye movement
6.Values are closer together as they move away from you

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Kim, So nice to have you back! It sounds like this workshop was wonderful - and I can see the effects in your painting. It is very harmonious, yet lively with color. Congratulations...I am sure your instructor would be proud of you. :-)

Don Gray said...

Nice one Kim. I really like the way the chamisa on the left anchors the design.

Shannon Reynolds said...

Kim,
Great light in this painting--very evocative of the landscape.