Friday, July 10, 2009

Willows in the Wetlands


11x14 oil on stretched cotton canvas
$300 unframed (email me if interested)
I need some advice. Do you think I need to go back and lighten up the value of the mountains to make them look like they are more in the distance? I feel as though I painted everything too much in the same value. I would appreciate any input. This is from a photo I took in the Rocky Mountain National Park. What a beautiful place. I love how there are so many different kinds of terrains. It is a painters paradise.

5 comments:

Maud Guilfoyle said...

It is a beautiful place, and you have done it justice.
If you lightened anything, maybe the top left triangular area. I like how you have the shadows from the clouds on the right. I lived in Boulder for some years and always loved the quality of light and the feeling that you could reach up and touch the clouds.
You have that here.
Maud Guilfoyle

B Lancton said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
B Lancton said...

I agree - the shadow of the clouds upon the mountain looks great. As for the overall value being the same, it is very close in value throughout. If you were going to lighten the mountains in the background, however, I don't think you would have to lighten it all that much, but it would give the overall painting more depth than otherwise supected.

Rebecca said...

You didn't come up here and not say 'hey' did you???? This is such a pretty painting,Kim! I was disappointed that I didn't get to see your parents when I was in TX but so glad your dad is doing better!

Rebecca said...

You didn't come up here and not say 'hey' did you???? This is such a pretty painting,Kim! I was disappointed that I didn't get to see your parents when I was in TX but so glad your dad is doing better!